I had the privilege of participating in a corporate health fair yesterday in downtown Manhattan where various NYC vendors ranging from dentists to physical therapists offered their advice and info to attending employees. People were curious when they saw my table with the words “Professional Organizer” typed out on my sign.
I explained that my service isn’t just about putting shoes in clear boxes and labeling them, my service is about health.
Here are 7 health benefits to getting organized:
- Less Stress About Money! When you open your mail right away, you’re more apt to send bill payments on time and avoid late charges. You’ll spend less money when you’re not double buying things that you think you lost and then find weeks later buried in a pile. Keeping track of your finances with a handy site like Mint.com can offer you structure and less stress.
- Relationship Harmony! I can’t tell you how many fights I’ve mediated over the years in regards to clutter. Really, I can’t tell you, it’s confidential. When you and your special person are on the same page with keeping your home and life organized, you’ll spend less time arguing and more time cuddling! Oh yeah…
- Mental Wellness! When you create order at home and at the office, you can stop running yourself ragged and crazy because you forgot something at work, double booked your messy schedule, zipped to the store for an item you already had shoved in the back of your kitchen drawer. Getting organized is about physical rewards that you see in your home but also, and sometimes more importantly, about the mental rewards of a clear mind. And if you want to take it one step further, an organized home frees up time for mindful meditation, another key to good health. Ohm….
- Medical Awareness! Staying on top of your prescriptions and daily doses can be helped along with something as simple as a pill sorter. You can also be more in tune with your doctor visits, yearly exams and scans when you have an organized calendar and records of your medical history. Feel good in body and mind!
- Exercise Ease! Getting to the gym will certainly have fewer obstacles when your sneakers, headband, swimming goggles and gym bag are all in one easy-to-find spot. Less excuses, more sit ups and a firmer tush!
- Healthier Eating! When you’re organized your diet improves. Something as easy as a clean and tidy fridge will encourage you to buy fresh foods (and use them before they rot), plan meals and cook as a family more often. If you’re on an eating plan you will automatically be required to stay organized with tracking your food, going to meetings, checking in with your nutritionist, etc. Keeping your eye on your goal, whatever it may be, goes hand in hand with organizing. Your wallet and your waistline will thank you. Professional Organizer Peter Walsh wrote a book called “Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?” linking clutter and weight gain.
- Better Sleep! So many of my clients list a better night’s sleep immediately after we’ve worked together. We’ve cleared old energy, gotten rid of dusty clutter (easier breathing means better sleeping). You will feel a literal weight lifted when you have fewer things around your home. With this burden gone, sleep becomes your friend and we know that catching dream time is the number one key to our best health
What are other health benefits of getting organized?
With light, love and less clutter…